It’s good to have realistic expectations as well as goals, right? And likely goals as well as shoot-for-the-moon goals, right? Authors — and everyone — should have many small goals as they make their way toward large goals.
So in a fit of procrastination from Real Work, I’ve compiled a just-for-fun list of things which would make me happy, small or large signposts on the way toward Arrived — wherever that is.
In no particular order….
Signs of Achievement and Semi-Greatness:
- My book becomes an audio book.
- That audio book is read by Simon Jones or James Marsters, my two favorite book voices.
- T-shirts are offered for sale featuring my character, locale, etc.
- I see my title go by on #FridayReads.
- Cosplayers appear as my characters. (As a cosplayer myself, this would delight me!)
- My book becomes a major motion picture.
- Howard Shore scores that motion picture.
- I am asked to speak about writing (as opposed to the subject of my writing).
- I see someone reading my book in an airport waiting area.
- Someone decorates a cake thematically from my book.
- A cake decorated thematically from my book appears on Cake Wrecks.
- My book is mentioned on tvtropes.com.
- Readers send me fan art.
What’d I miss?